Ħondoq saga ends as planning tribunal denies developers' appeal
A planning tribunal has shot down developers’ appeal to forge ahead with development in Ħondoq bay, closing the chapter on a 20-year saga.
Gozo Prestige Hotels, the landowners of a massive tract of land in Ħondoq ir-Rummien, Qala, have long had plans to develop the 103,000 square metre site, which included a hotel, parking facilities, 25 villas, 60 apartments and 200 multi-owner properties.
In 2016, the Planning Authority reached a unanimous decision not to grant the permit, however, shortly after developers filed an appeal, claiming that their right to a fair hearing had been breached.
On Thursday, the Environmental and Planning Review Tribunal voted against the appeal. The decision was read out in a virtual hearing, in which the tribunal said it was rejecting the appeal and confirming the Planning Authority's decision to deny the application.
In an initial reaction, Paul Buttigieg, the mayor of Qala, who spearheaded the campaign said: "Ħondoq saved... appeal refused."
Gozo Prestige Hotels said they were treated unfairly as they were only given 15 days to prepare for the PA hearing. Despite this being above the minimum legal timeframe, lawyers for the developers argued that...
