Kabul Summon Pakistani Envoy After Airstrikes in Eastern Afghanistan
Kabul summoned Pakistan’s ambassador after airstrikes in eastern Afghanistan reportedly killed dozens of civilians and heightened cross-border tensions.
The Taliban’s Foreign Ministry said it called in Pakistan’s ambassador in Kabul following what it described as Pakistani military airstrikes on the eastern provinces of Nangarhar and Paktika. In a statement released on Sunday, Febraury 22, the ministry said the attacks resulted in dozens of civilian casualties.
According to the statement, the Taliban condemned what it called violations of Afghanistan airspace and the bombing of civilians, describing the strikes as a “clear violation of Afghanistan’s territorial integrity” and a provocative act by Pakistan. The ministry warned that continued incursions would carry consequences.
Local sources reported that airstrikes also targeted areas in Khost province, with at least 23 people reportedly trapped under rubble in the Behsood district of Nangarhar.
The escalation follows repeated accusations by Taliban officials that Pakistan has carried out cross-border attacks against suspected militant hideouts inside Afghanistan. Islamabad has previously said it reserves the right to act against groups it accuses of launching attacks from Afghanistan territory.
Tensions between the two neighbors have intensified in recent months amid security concerns along the disputed border. Both sides have traded blame over militant activity, leading to sporadic clashes and diplomatic protests.
Pakistan has long expressed concern over the presence of armed groups it says operate from Afghanistan soil, while the Taliban administration denies allowing any group to use Afghanistan to threaten other countries. The dispute has further strained already fragile diplomatic relations.
The post Kabul Summon Pakistani Envoy After Airstrikes in Eastern Afghanistan appeared first on Khaama Press.
