Trump Calls Shooting of National Guard Members an ‘Act of Terror’ and Vows Immigration Crackdown as Suspect Identified
President Donald Trump called the shooting of two West Virginia National Guard Members deployed to Washington, D.C. an “act of terror” and vowed the person responsible “will pay a very steep price.”
The Department of Homeland Security identified the suspect of the Wednesday shooting that left victims Staff Sgt. Andrew Wolfe, 24, and Specialist Sarah Beckstrom, 20, in critical condition as Rahmanullah Lakanwal, 29, an Afghan national who traveled to the U.S. in 2021 under “Operation Allies Welcome.” The Biden Administration program oversaw the evacuation of tens of thousands of Afghans after the U.S. withdrawal from the country. Many of the allies were viewed as vulnerable and at-risk of facing retribution from the Taliban. According to CIA director John Ratcliffe, the suspect in the D.C. shooting reportedly worked for various U.S. government agencies in Afghanistan, including a CIA-backed unit in Kandahar, a stronghold of the Taliban.
[time-brightcove not-tgx=”true”]Secretary of Homeland Security Kristi Noem claimed that Lakanwal “was one of the many unvetted, mass paroled into the United States,” repeating a long-cited criticism of many Republicans, who argue the withdrawal—and subsequent evacuation and resettling of the Afghan nationals—in 2021 was rushed.
Jeanine Pirro, the U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia, said during a Thursday news conference that the suspect drove across the country from Washington State to launch the “ambush-style” assault, echoing D.C. Mayor Muriel E. Bowser’s labeling of the violence as a “targeted shooting.” A motive for the incident, which took place near the White House, has yet to be established, with Pirro noting that “it’s too soon to say.” The suspect is in police custody facing charges of assault with intent to kill while armed and possession of a firearm during a crime of violence. Those charges could be upgraded should circumstances develop, Pirro said. Meanwhile, FBI director Kash Patel said the bureau is regarding the case as “an ongoing investigation of terrorism,” one that stretches from “coast-to-coast.”
But while the public awaits further details, the incident already looks to be becoming a touchstone of the Trump Administration’s wider immigration crackdown argument.
Addressing the nation from his Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida on Wednesday evening, Trump said the shooting was a “crime against our entire nation… against humanity” and “underscores the single greatest national security threat facing our nation.”
Trump said he’s determined the “animal” who carried out the shooting will pay “the steepest possible price.”
Pivoting the conversation to matters of immigration, Trump—who blamed the Biden Administration throughout his speech—called for the reexamination of all Afghan refugees who entered the U.S. under the Biden Administration. He went on to add that measures must be taken to ensure the removal of “any alien, from any country, who does not belong here or add benefit to our country.”
Vowing to “make America totally safe again,” Trump directed his Department of Defense, which was earlier this year rebranded as the Department of War, to deploy an “additional 500 troops” to Washington, D.C.
Read More: Two National Guard Members Shot in D.C.: What We Know So Far
The Trump Administration filed an emergency motion through the federal appeals court on Wednesday to keep the National Guard in D.C., after a judge last week temporarily blocked the Administration from maintaining more than 2,000 members of the National Guard deployed to the capital’s streets. District Judge Jia Cobb argued that the deployment, initially carried out under Trump’s order in August, was most likely unlawful. She raised concerns that more than 1,000 members of the National Guard deployed to Washington appeared to be from other states.
Vowing to carry out Trump’s latest deployment directive, Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth said: “The shooter shot, in a cowardly, dastardly act, targeting the best of America. That will only stiffen our resolve. We will never back down. We will secure our capital.”
Following Trump’s speech, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services announced that all immigration processing for Afghan nationals has been indefinitely paused.
“Effective immediately, processing of all immigration requests relating to Afghan nationals is stopped indefinitely pending further review of security and vetting protocols,” read a statement shared via social media. “The protection and safety of our homeland and of the American people remains our singular focus and mission.”
Richard Bennett, the United Nations’ Special Rapporteur on Afghanistan, has urged against what some view as collective punishment.
“The perpetrator should face accountability, but the entire Afghan community must not be punished due to the actions of one individual,” said Bennett, adding that such actions would be “terribly unjust.”
Bennett’s comments echo those made by #AfghanEvac, a nonprofit that aims to “bring together organizations with a shared commitment to fulfilling the United States’ duty to at-risk Afghans.”
“This individual’s isolated and violent act should not be used as an excuse to define or diminish an entire community,” read a statement from the nonprofit.
